Communications and Outreach Director
Position: Full time salaried
Areas of Focus: Digital media, print publications, journalism, and marketing
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Position Overview: CAIR Georgia is looking for a passionate and talented individual to fill the Communications & Outreach Director position. Join one of the most dynamic teams defending civil rights on behalf of the American Muslim community.
Time Commitment: Full-time with periodic evenings and weekends required for presentations and community outreach events.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Developing and strengthening relationships with journalists, editors, bloggers, and other media professionals as well as proactively work with media to generate comprehensive coverage of Islam and American Muslims
- Preparing press releases and organizing press conferences
- Conducting as well as coordinating media interviews; preparing statements and talking points
- Writing opinion pieces and letters
- Directing media campaigns and projects
- Maintaining the website and social media presence including regular updates and the creation of original content
- Sending out an email newsletter and updates to community members regularly
- Leveraging social/digital media and analytics to develop relationships with the community and keeping community informed
- Creating/managing graphic design, photography, layout, video editing and other multimedia needs, experience in Adobe Creative Cloud preferred
- Creating marketing materials such as posters, flyers, print newsletters, email newsletters, and announcements while upholding brand awareness and standards in all marketing materials
- Researching & implementing use of new technologies to enhance CAIR Georgia’s communications (as needed)
- Ensuring all communications adheres to CAIR’s core values and mission
- Supervising interns to support the communications department needs
- Working with Islamic centers, MSAs, and other faith communities and communities of color on a variety of social justice issues
- Recruiting and establish relationships with volunteers and community activists
- Providing presence at relevant organizations’ (colleges, nonprofits, mosques, etc.) events, activities, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications/Public Relations/Journalism or related field
- 2 to 4 years of experience, post-graduation
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills; knowledge of AP style preferred
- Highly motivated, self-initiating and energetic
- Experience working with non-profit organizations and Muslim community desired
- Must have the capability to work on multiple projects or tasks at a time
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook software
- Ability to work well on tight deadlines
- Experience with public speaking
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive for events and outreach
- Familiarity with Google Analytics (preferred)
- Experience facilitating the research and development of content for publication including annual reports (preferred)
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
This position reports to the Executive Director.
Compensation: Compensation includes a salary and benefits commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications.
Application Deadline: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Deadline: Application accepted until position is filled.